Homemade Chinese Five Spice Recipe Recipe
Ready to eat: 15 min
Nia Bennett | Aug, 28 2018
Today I am going to show you how to blend a Chinese five spice powder. This is fresh, flavourful and adds an authentic flavour to all the Chinese recipes.
Blending spices is pure magic, if you love cooking- then this is a must-do ritual. There’s nothing like having a batch of fresh spice blends ready to be used for spontaneous kitchen experiments.
If you are pressed for time then let me tell you that this whole process only takes about fifteen minutes. It’s incredibly easy and very rewarding process. Especially because the blend is fresh without any extra additives or preservatives like store bought products. There’s something very organic and satisfying our bodies with home-made fresh products. To me, this is about practicing conscious eating.
Chinese five spice is an essential ingredient which is crucial for Chinese cooking but it is also used in other dishes like Taiwanese, Vietnamese and Arabic cooking.
I hope you enjoy blending your own spice and next time you have a sudden craving for authentic flavours, your home made spice blends will help you add more authenticity and magic to your cooking.
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon / 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground cloves (8 cloves)
- 2 .5 tsp fennel seeds (toasted and ground)
- 3 star anise (1 tablespoon)
- 1.5 tsp szechuan peppercorns
Prep: 15 min > Cook: 0 min > Ready to eat: 15 min
- Start by wiping the cinnamon, this is important because you don’t want dirt or dust in your spice blend. Add this to a clean bowl.
- Next toss in the cloves, fennel, star anise and szechuan peppercorns. You can add more peppercorns if you want it to be spicer but personally this ratio works for me. If you want to make a bigger batch - double the quantity.
- Now transfer all the five spices into a spice blender. If you are making a bigger batch, add spices to the blender in small batches as you want the powder to be nice and fine.
- Blend until the spice mix is fine
- Store it in an airtight container in a cool dark place and the powder can be used up to six months.