Chinese Sesame Chicken Recipe
Ready to eat: 25 min
Nia Bennett | Dec, 3 2018
There’s something so aromatic about sesame seeds that adding them into any dinner recipe instantly takes it to another level. Frankly, I am a massive fan of the aroma of toasted sesame seeds. So any excuse to toss them into something savoury like this sesame coated chicken is worth experimenting and boy I am glad I did it!
The minute I make this chicken recipe my husband devours them in minutes *gulp*. So be prepared to make something incredibly mouth watering but I recommend sneakily leaving some aside so no one eats your share - been there, done that.
Another favourite thing about this chicken recipe is its simplicity which means, simple steps and you end up with a restaurant-style food item. This sesame chicken recipe is inspired by Chinese cuisine. They are known to sprinkle sesame into a lot of meat dishes and stir-fries which gives this a subtle, nutty and aromatic fragrance. The only suggestion or tip while frying the chicken is ensuring the oil is at the right temperature. Since the chicken is coated with sesame, it will brown very quickly if the oil is hot. Bear this in a mind and you are on your way to making an incredibly chicken recipe.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 egg
- 25g sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4-5 chopped garlic cloves (for dipping sauce)
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar (for dipping sauce)
- Pinch of salt (for dipping sauce)
Prep: 10 min > Cook: 15 min > Ready to eat: 25 min
- Slice each chicken breast horizontally to make thin escalopes, you can get up to 4 to 5 slices from each chicken breast.
- Tenderise the chicken. You can do this by wrapping the chicken pieces in cling film and lightly beat with a rolling pin to flatter them. Now season this with sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Crack an egg into a bowl and add sesame seeds to another plate. Now dip each chicken slice into the egg mixture and then tightly roll this chicken in the sesame seeds to coat evenly and then press it gently so the sesame seeds stick together.
- Heat vegetable oil, to check if the oil is ready, drop a small piece of breadcrumb, if it browns in 30 seconds, your oil is hot and ready. Gently drop the folded chicken pieces and cook in small batches without overcrowding the wok. Remove chicken and drain the excess oil by placing them on kitchen rolls.
- To make the dipping sauce, add crushed garlic to rice vinegar, add salt and stir. Sesame chicken with garlic dipping sauce is ready.