Masala Chai - Chai Tea Latte Recipe
Ready to eat: 15 min
Nia Bennett | Aug, 19 2018
From every street corner of India to an American coffee shop, Starbucks chai tea latte has taken the world by storm and this Indian spice (masala) infused tea is the perfect comfort hot drink to savour snuggled next to a fire, whilst reading a cook or a beverage that will energise your day.
History of the inspiration behind Starbucks chai tea latte
In the 1900s British introduced the culture of drinking tea to the Indians but back in the day tea was really expensive and wasn’t affordable to many people, to make this viable Indians added milk and other flavours, but this style of preparing tea became more popular in the later years. Especially when Crush, Tear and Curl (CTC) tea was produced to appeal to the masses. This type of mechanised tea made drinking tea more affordable to Indians, but this also lower the original strong flavour of tea. As a result, to make tea more delicious, Indians experimented by adding home grown spices, sugar and milk to tea. This spice (masala) mix of tea became so popular that is spread all over India making it a popular beverage all across India.
This Indian masala chai is great with scones, savoury pakoras, onion bhajis and samosas .
- 1 tablespoon of ginger
- 3-4 cardamoms
- 1 clove
- 2-3 small peppercorns
- Small pinch of crushed cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon strong tea leaves
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 teaspoons sugar (add more if you’d like)
Prep: 10 min > Cook: 5 min > Ready to eat: 15 min
- Heat a pan and pour two cups of water. Now to this add crushed ginger, cardamom and rest of the spices (masala) and boil for one minute.
- To this add strong tea leaves and then boil it for one more minute and now you can add one cup of whole milk, add sugar and stir. When the tea boils, lower the flame and repeat the step twice.
- Now it is time to strain the masala (spice) blend and tea leaves using a sieve.
- Try tea pulling to make it nice and frothy and your Starbucks style chai tea latte is ready.