Kale and Chickpea - easy weekday recipe Recipe
Ready to eat: 30 min
Nia Bennett | Aug, 21 2018
This African inspired kale and chickpea dish is a perfect weekday dinner treat. The warm and soothing undertones of kale and chickpea not only makes this nutritious but it is also a great fodder for your mind and body but my favourite part is that it needs very little preparation time and can be cooked on any weekday for an instant refresh and a healthy dose of nutrients and fiber.
This is also a great meal for freezing and batch cooking.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed/ olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 chopped ginger
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 150g chopped kale
- 1 tin/150gm cooked chickpeas
- 2 medium sized chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup stock
- 1/2 cup fresh and thick coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp piri piri salt
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Prep: 10 min > Cook: 20 min > Ready to eat: 30 min
- Add chopped ginger and garlic and let this cook for 20 seconds then add chopped onions.
- Now add salt and pepper and let this cook for 40 seconds. To this add cashews, give it a good stir till this turns honey brown - which should take a minute on a medium flame.
- At this point, add the tomatoes and let it blend together for another 30 to 40 seconds then sprinkle smoked paprika powder. To this add chopped kale, once it cooked, add cooked chickpeas.
- Stir this for a minute, then add your favourite stock and cook it for a minute. Then lower the flame and add coconut milk - stir it and cook it for 40 seconds and then add a pinch of peri peri salt. It’s optional but I recommend this step because it adds a little extra something to this flavoursom
- Finally garnish the dish with some toasted sesame seeds and a dollop of yogurt.