Japanese Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe
Ready to eat: 33 min
Nia Bennett | Aug, 21 2018
This authentic Japanese Chicken Katsu curry is comforting, mouth watering, crunchy, and very tasty. The sauce for this Chicken Katsu curry is similar to a curry sauce, but unlike a traditional curry sauce in a chippy, this once is loaded with flavours and goodness.
I prefer to sieve it to have a fine sauce but you can also add this to a blender and make a thicker sauce. Regardless of how you have it - this amazing Japanese Chicken Katsu curry is delicious, really crispy and very easy to make.
Katsu comes from the word ‘katsuretsu’ which in Japanese means cutlet - that is paneed (crumbed) and fried. The meat needs to be pounded or in fillet which can be done using chicken, beef or pork.
In this recipe we have fried chicken to stick to the authenticity but you can also bake it and lightly spray oil to keep it crispy.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 medium sized chopped onions
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1.5 to 2 mild Japanese curry powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Japanese light soy sauce
- 1.5 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Prep: 8 min > Cook: 25 min > Ready to eat: 33 min
- Add the garlic, chopped onion and sauté for two minutes, now throw in the carrots and sweat slowly for ten minutes with the lid on, giving the odd stir, until softened and starting to caramelise.
- At this stage, add the bay leaves, mild Japanese curry powder, brown sugar and the all purpose flour. Slowly pour in the stock until combined. Make sure you do this gradually to avoid getting lumps. Let this cook on a low flame for ten minutes. To this add light soy sauce and flavour with salt and p
- Now use a sieve to strain the sauce and your thin and rich curry sauce is ready.
- Now to prepare the chicken add flour to a bowl and season it with salt and pepper and then coat the chicken in the flour, then dip into the egg and finally into the panko breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the breaded chicken breasts for five minutes on each side. Make sure they are golden and cooked through on each side. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and leave to drain on paper towels.
- Slice the chicken diagonally and serve with the curry sauce drizzled over, sushi rice alongside Japanese pickles and salad.